Box Office 02380 711811
- All Shows
- Calendar of Shows
- Dance / Ballet
- One Nighters
- Summer School
Tickets are no longer on sale
This masterclass will take place at The Mayflower.
Recommended age: 16+
Places are limited.
To order your Summer School 2010 t-shirt, please phone 02380 711811 or call in to our Box Office or ticket south outlet in The Mall shopping centre.
Musical Theatre Masterclass with Rosemary Ashe
Mon 9 August 2010
12:00pm - 7.00pm
Recommended age: 16+
Places are limited
Rosemary Ashe returns to The Mayflower Summer School this year with another specially created Musical Theatre Masterclass. Rosie’s rich career includes many iconic shows such as The Phantom of the Opera, Les Misérables and Mary Poppins, making her an invaluable resource for any aspiring or amateur Musical Theatre enthusiasts.
This year she will concentrate on some key themes from the Musical Theatre discipline, and you will have the chance to receive first hand tips and trade-secrets from one of the country’s leading ladies.
The day will start with a group warm up session, backstage at the Theatre in one of our newly refurbished Company dressing rooms. Then you will move on to the stage, and as a group explore ‘acting through song’, concentrating on the different ways to communicate the text to an audience. The next area of focus will be how to switch seamlessly from the singing voice to the spoken word and back again.
For the remainder of the Masterclass you will be paired up and work on duets (these will be chosen by Rosie and sent out 2 weeks prior to the Masterclass). You will receive guidance and critique from both Rosie and the Musical Director, with some individual coaching in front of the group. During this time, the remaining participants will be encouraged to contribute, ensuring all students are continually involved in the process. This Masterclass will end with a Q&A session.
You MUST bring with you two prepared Musical Theatre songs and sheet music, one with some dialogue in the song itself, or dialogue from a show leading into the song. Rosie will choose which song you will perform on the day. The more familiar you are with your choices, the more you will get from the experience.
• After you have purchased your ticket, please email Briony Adams email with the full name, age and sex of the participant. This will help when choosing appropriate duets.
• Please wear suitable clothing and footwear to allow movement during the session.
• Arrival from 11:45am at the main entrance of the Theatre.
• Please note, lunch will NOT be provided by the Theatre. Please bring your own packed lunch; alternatively there are local shops nearby.
• No guests will be allowed to stay and watch the session.
• Parking is not available at the Theatre. Please use public car parks nearby.