Mayflower Theatre is looking to recruit an experienced Head Chef to lead our award winning restaurant kitchen, Ovation. We provide afternoon teas, lunches (on matinee days), dinners, corporate hospitality / conference / functions which go towards enhancing our customer’s theatre experience. We offer a fantastic environment to drive your career forward.
Your main duties:
- Manage the kitchen team including carrying out staff training as required ensuring the kitchen team is efficient, knowledgeable and develop their skills appropriately.
- Manage the preparation and service of quality food for Ovation, Simply by Ovation and any other events in our function suites as required.
- Ensuring Ovation maximises profitability through effective sourcing of suppliers, efficient service and an excellent standard of food preparation, presentation and hygiene
- Ensure rotas are prepared and communicated to team 2-3 weeks in advance and carry out / attend team meetings.
- Able to successfully manage the team rotas to avoid staff overtime.
- Devise appealing menus which maximize the use of seasonal local produce, and provide costings in a timely manner.
- Effective management of all aspects of kitchen hygiene and cleanliness, including daily checks, waste management, scheduling of periodic deep cleaning.
- Manage stock ordering ensuring cost budgets are achieved.
- Enforce compliance with all legislation including food hygiene and health & safety. Identify areas of maintenance likely to affect customer or staff safety and welfare. Inform the maintenance team of any damage to fixtures and fittings.
You will have:
- Proven experience as a Head Chef in delivering high quality food within a specified budget in a quality venue.
- Strong kitchen experience focusing on team development is essential.
- Thorough experience and understanding of profit margin management and cost control is essential.
- Good knowledge and appreciation of modern British / International cooking and current trends is essential.
- Understanding of seasonal menus and sourcing fresh local produce.
- Experience in banqueting is essential.
- Good communication skills and willingness to talk to customers about the food at ad hoc menu preview events.
- Allergen awareness training and understanding of special dietary requirements
- Ability to demonstrate continuous development of their team, food standards and their own career is required.
- Competent user of Microsoft Office products, especially Outlook, Excel, Word
What’s in it for you?
- Normal hours of work are 45 per week which will include evening and weekends. There may be occasional late hours to cover post-show events.
- Salary is £31k per annum plus benefits including pension and 28 days holiday (to include bank holidays), including free meals on duty.
- Shared gratuities paid every four weeks.
- Staff discount on theatre tickets and Ovation