Would you like to be a Matilda Champion School?
We are opening applications to schools with KS1 & KS2 students, to work alongside the RSC in a 2 year commitment of work inspired by Matilda the Musical. This incredible opportunity allows your school the chance to perform a schools edit of Matilda the musical with exclusive resources and guidance from RSC practitioners.
There are a limited number of school places.
Key facts about Matilda Champion Schools
- The schools edit has been adapted by official Matilda the Musical creatives. The focus is on an ensemble and the edit will take 45-60 minutes to perform.
- The edit has been created with a cast of 30 in mind, but you could do it with a larger or smaller cast.
- Resources have been created for the exclusive use of Matilda Champion Schools only. These include backing tracks and sound effects, piano score (if required), rehearsal tracks, student script pdf and Director Pack.
- The license is for 5 performances of the production. Tickets must not be sold the performance in school, but a raffle or donations tin for the school will be fine. An entrance fee must not be charged.
- A minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4 members of staff must attend the INSET training days. Both days run from 9am – 5pm.
- Matilda Champion Schools will receive 3 in school visits by the RSC. RSC practitioners will act in a mentor capacity, supporting the school teachers to direct and lead their production.
- There will be a maximum of 50 Matilda Champion Schools across the country (in the UK tour regions). All performing their own unique version of the schools edition of Matilda The Musical.
Matilda Champion Schools will work with the RSC on a programme of work inspired by Matilda The Musical. Schools will make a two-year commitment and will be interested in creating curriculum resources that uses Matilda The Musical as inspiration for creative writing, dance and music across the school. They will also need to demonstrate the ability to recruit, work with and share their skills and knowledge with five other schools during the two-year project period.
Total Cost: £700 per school
|Friday 3 May||9am – 5pm||Inset Day at Mayflower Theatre|
|Saturday 4 May||9am - 5pm||Inset Day at Mayflower Theatre|
|w/c 20 May||9am - 4pm||RSC School Visit|
|w/c 24 June||9am - 4pm||RSC School Visit|
|w/c 8 July||9am - 4pm||RSC School Visit|
Welsh National Opera
FREE Schools Concert
8 May 2019 | 1.30pm - 2.30pm
Welsh National Opera returns to Mayflower Theatre with a brand new FREE Schools Concert.
Welsh National Opera schools concerts are aimed at Key Stages 2–3, providing the opportunity for children to experience an orchestral concert – live!
Each year WNO will be providing 1,000 students with this opportunity, with concerts designed in line with National Curriculum objectives. It’s the perfect way to introduce primary school children to opera and classical music as WNO Orchestra guides you through a selection of popular favourites from the world of opera, film and TV.CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION